Local history dates Wantasa as opening in 1897 - we have had an earlier date of 1879 suggested. The Inn was first named "Victoria House" and it catered to summer guests, many of whom traveled here from the United States. The name was later changed to "Wantasa Inn", then "Wantasa Resort" as it is still named today. Sometime during the mid-70's, the inn stopped operating as a hotel, and the decision was made to switch to strictly housekeeping cottage rentals. As time went on, more cottages were added to the property, resulting in the sixteen housekeeping cottages we now have to offer.